Tuesday, January 18, 2011

18 Jan. 2011

Okay, been off for a while.  My main focus has been my writing... so much so that the rest of life has since fallen away until today... but it'll all fall away tomorrow, too ;)

Anyway, had a rough go of it (writing) last week.

(jotted down on the 14th -- when I originally planned to update this blog)

14 Jan. 2011
Got caught up in at-a-boys this week.  Got a good review and confidence just went right through the roof.  Then I started writing for the at-a-boy.  I was so eager for people to like my work -- tell me to keep going -- I forgot to do that.  That's my job, as a writer, to keep myself going, to keep myself on track (on top).  No one else can, nor should for that matter.

This is my story, not theirs.  Only I can (should) write it.  Good praise or bad.  I need to be the one happy with my work.  First and foremost, that's the bottom line.  Though I often do, I mustn't forget that.

hahaha, yea for ego.... it so needs to be hit by a truck grrrrrr....

after that (I have readers out there so I can get an unbiased view of how my characters come across -- can't see the forest through the trees, especially with your nose 2" from the bark), I had a productive week.  Once I put my story back in first place, above all else -- except family.

I've gotten in my free writes (15 min. sprints every morn) and nearly 20 pages I need to type up... not the progress I had hoped for, but it works...

Yesterday, before retiring for the night, I got another 'review' -- not one I expected... sometimes I post excerpts for other writers to view and to critique... silly me for thinking that just because my post got buried, that no one else was going to find it -- I let them get buried when I've gotten back into the work and no longer need opinions (again, how things come across -- not how to say it.  that's what I must fix.)... well, a new member to the group found it and chimed in...

hey, they did read it, had something good to say, but then killed it by filling a page long post of how my working style was all wrong and what I should or shouldn't do while I write/work.

Excuse me?! 

then, oh, the gual of this woman... to ask if it was like some other kind of work and maybe a different kind of genre that I am even in.  I am writing my own work.  It comes from my own head, my own characters.  To compare one person to another or their works you diminish that person and their accomplishments -- their own effort and hard work.

Though they gave me a good -- soaring review -- I cannot help but fume over their ignorance in how they conduct themselves.  That tends to show in their writing and is very sad, in s many ways.

....other than that (I spent as little time on them in the forum as they were worth), I spent the day navigating the internet work I've neglected over the past week and doing a bit of research (I'm always doing research).  Tonight, I may begin typing up my pages -- or I do not usually count them for the week -- and polishing a chapter or three.

Eh, for a nice end note, picked up a new album last week: Mumford & Sons' Sigh No More.  lol a friend got me hooked on them before Samhain and just been wearing out my flash listening to them on youtube.  Now I own a copy (not I-tunes -- I like physical media more than downloads).... CD's been spinning since Thursday -- I-pod since this morn.... 

....so sets the mood to work....

No comments:

Post a Comment