Thursday, November 4, 2010

04 Nov. 2010

Not recast the gift yet, but have gotten a leaf made.

Been going over my work.  The few pages I got down last night are worth keeping -- mostly.  A little tweaking still called for.  My MC came off odd rather than herself and is something I must remedy before moving forward.  She seems more like a paper doll than flesh and bone.  Drives me nuts when they fade like that.

Maybe I'm hitting another 'kill zone' (usually pages 99-125, where the story dies without warning) and gods I hope not.  One is more than enough in a novel.  Just for sanity! lol  Or maybe, most likely, I just didn't hit her moment at the right angle.

Something I need to think about.

Will this morn before turning in for the day.  Shortly, actually.  My writing has improved, thanks in part to my beta.  Without them, I'd've stayed one step further from decent craft.  lol Not that I'm worthy of noticing yet.  I'm not -- not by far!

But, their input had helped immensely.  New points of view always do.  I know some method books (yes, I read those, kind of an occupational hazard) say to forgo the betas and just trust what you do.  Yeah, doesn't work like that.  Not for me.  I like hearing feedback and discussing things, events, style, ideas, over different works.  And I like hearing that what I do, before it hits the publisher, catches a reader.  But, most of all, you cannot be challenged to hone various aspects of this craft simply by dancing with shadow puppets.  You need a partner for that.  Shadows (most of them lol) don't push back.  People do.  lol And publishers kill, but anyway...

Dawn starts my two day break.  And I still have work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment